Saturday, 26 March 2016

Dear: The British Museum



I went on a tour through you,
Not an ordinary tour,
A tour that told us the truth about you,
It's really amazing - how evil you really are.

Dear: The British Museum -
You hide black history,
It is evident that you just want us to think that all we were about is slavery.
Martin Luther King.
Rosa Parks.
Those are the three things you push into our mines on the stupid thing called - Black History Month.

Dear: The British Museum -
Your history itself is disgusting.
A lot of things in you are stolen.

Black people created civilisation,
Black people created maths and English,
Black people created astrology,
And so the list is endless, and oh - you didn't want us to know that a black person also made the first plug in.
Wow - all the things you hide to make yourself look better.

Dear: The British Museum -
You destroyed beautiful sculptures of African people - their noses - to get rid of anything that looks African,
You even had the audacity to replace it with a Caucasian nose. 

Dear: The British Museum -
You're the definition of wicked,
But it's okay - because someday everyone will know the truth.
If that doesn't happen, you actually thought people didn't know anyway?

Dear: The British Museum -
You just love to separate Egypt from Africa,
You leave a small, underground section for 'African history' in the museum.
Egypt is in Africa,
But you know - people like to make it seem like Caucasian people were living there.
They are now - but that's because of something called invasion.

Dear: British Museum -
You also just love to make African people seem like crazy, dirty people.

I hope you get shut down soon.
I hope revenge comes on you.
I hope you..I hope  you..

----

Hi everyone, I hoped you liked my poem. It was pretty 'deep', but I figured that I needed to let out the truth. I in no means meant to offend people of different races, and I CERTAINLY have no hate against Caucasians.

An 'African-American' is someone who's ancestors were in slavery, which is mine. However, my ancestors were in the Caribbean instead of America, but I don't live in the Carribbean. I live in Britain...But I wouldn't consider myself African-British, because there are Africans coming here, so wouldn't that be a title for them?

So I guess I am just - 'African-Carribbean/but-lives-in-Britain'
Or to make it more simple, I'm technically just an African-American who lives in Britain...Ish..






25 comments:

  1. This is HORRIBLE! The museum, not the poem. This is just, disgusting! I'm sorry this is a real THING!
    -Dani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, it's very disgusting..

      Delete
  2. I had no idea. I didn't know that that museum even existed. Can't believe they stole, they lied. People like that disgust me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD, yeah they're disgusting : /

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Nabila, always here to give you guys some new information!

      Delete
  4. I completely agree! When I went overseas we went to the British Museum and they stole all that stuff from all around the world and did not acknowledge the African people at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's cool you went to The British Museum like me :)

      ~ Rukiya

      Delete
  5. This is a really nice poem. Did English really originate from the Africans though? I thought numbers and mathematics as well as early medicine and astrology came from the Muslim Caliphate which did extend to Africa (but numbers themselves are primarily Hindu-Arabic). Perhaps you should mention the research you went through when writing because I would love to read more about the true history of the world, and not the history written by colonizers.
    Have a nice day ^^
    the-emo-wolverine-writes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catalina. No, haha, I meant English as in writing. I'm not sure if they made the English language, but it's possible :) I do know that Africans created astrology, science, mathematics and some other cool stuff. I'm pretty sure they made medicine as well, as there a lot of good herbs and stuff like that over there. The Muslims could of done so too though, sorry, the tour guy didn't really talk about that.

      ~ Rukiya

      Delete
    2. Wait, 'I meant English as in writing'. But either way, I'm saying that the African made the English language XD. Sorry, I think I messed up a bit there on the poem...But they could of..There were a group of African who fled to other countries teaching.

      ~ Rukiya

      Delete
    3. I think I'll be researching on astrology and medicine myself. I'll let you know what I get. Everyone finds a way to hide Muslim contributions to history. Did you know that Dracula, or Vlad Dracula was a person the Muslims had to fight against? And that most of his impaling victims were Muslims? Everyone knows about Vlad and yet, they don't really :P so I'm not surprised the British Museum didn't give due credit where it's supposed to be given when it comes to something a little less exciting like science.

      Delete
    4. Oh ok...And that wasn't in the museum. I just know already from my parents' research. Are you a muslim yourself? Then Dracula was a horrible person, there's always something hidden of a famous person right? For example, Christopher Columbus enslaved and mutilated native people...And phh, he wasn't the first one to discover America.

      Let me know on the research!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know any of this either! But, can you please explain the African and Caucasian nose thing to me? I didn't really understand that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will!
      So an African nose looks like this - http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/african-american-little-girl-8010081.jpg

      Whereas a caucasian nose looks like the nose I believe you have?

      So basically, the statues were of African people, and one way you can figure out someone's race is by their nose. So they basically somehow took the African nose off, and replaced it with a caucasian to make it seem like they were caucasian. Hope that answered your question!

      By the way, what is your blog link? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Why is there even a difference between their noses? Like, what do noses have to do with anything, lol thats kind of weird in my opinion.

      Delete
    3. There just is :) I can't explain why there's a difference XD. It's just that certain races have certain shape in their noses, I know it's weird but..Yeah.

      Delete
    4. idek what kind of nose I have. Its so weird that people are different in the smallest things like their noses. Kind of cool though, it shows you not everyone's the same.

      Delete
  7. I like how you wrote the poem and you certainly have a lot of valid points. When I visited the Museum I was really disappointed when I saw how small the African collection was. I recently visited it and to be honest, I loved it the rest of it. I love how it brings together lots of cultures from all over the world. I do agree that it's a bad thing that many of the artifacts in the museum are stolen. It would be great if the museum returned some artifacts or at least compensate the countries they took them from. But then again, it's kind of what the British do...
    I think there's one main reason why Egypt has its own wing: The collection would be too freaking gigantic if it was combined with that of the rest of Africa and the consistency of the collection would go completely down the drain since the Egyptian culture is so different from the cultures they have on show at the British Museum. By the way, if you look at the Egypt collection you'll actually see some black history, since it was ruled by black people for a while. You can also see it in the shape of the faces and noses of some of the statues from a certain era.
    As for English, I couldn't help but see Catalina's question and I might be able to answer it too. I studied linguistics and the origin of European languages in college for a while. English is part of the Indo-Germanic language family, which means it's related to languages such as Norwegian, Dutch and also Hindi and Urdu. Even though some people who speak these last two have a pretty sark skin, black people had nothing to do with the development of the English language throughout the ages, until colonization and slavery took place.
    By the way, what do you mean with 'plug in'? I'm Dutch and English isn't my first language, so that part was kind of lost on me :P Sorry for the huge comment, hope you don't mind :)

    x Envy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I know what you mean about the Egypt wing thing. But the truth is, the media constantly manipulates people into believing Egypt and Africa are two different places, along with the fact that they make it seem like they were caucasian. Egypt was the place for studying, and so there'd be a lot of things to study in that area. Thanks for answering Catalina's question! What I mean by the first plug in is a socket and plug :)

      ~ Rukiya

      Delete
  8. Wow I didn't know about this. I mean I knew that there's a lot of discrimination about different races but I didn't know museums did too.. I'm Caribbean too, but like half Cuban, my dad was born there, but I'm also native american, Irish, and probably Mayan, Asian, and African. Not sure though since there is a lot of ethnicity in Cuba and America. I hate when people and things like the museum hide so much and lie.
    -Addy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's amazing that you're part of different ethnicities!

      Delete